Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
'Here for You' – Patient Experience & Values Programme
Croydon Health Service’s 3,500 staff provide acute and community healthcare services for a diverse population of 360,000 across the borough. Care is delivered either in patients’ own homes or from clinics and specialist centres, including Croydon University Hospital.
Following a competitive tender process, we were delighted to be selected to design and deliver a large-scale Patient Experience culture change programme for the Trust. The programme was designed to support the Trust’s ‘Here for You’ promises:
- You feel cared for
- You feel in safe hands
- You feel confident in your treatment
- You feel we value your time
- You feel it’s getting better all the time
This project created an opportunity for the Trust to further develop their patient focused culture throughout the whole organisation.
Following a period of intensive consultation, Juice designed a two-tiered programme consisting of live, theatre-based events delivered to the entire workforce, and tailored sessions for key Senior Managers throughout the Trust.
The Senior Managers’ events were designed to:
- Demonstrate the impact of positive leadership and encourage ownership of leading a culture focused upon excellence and fearlessness of challenging unacceptable behaviour at all levels.
- Encourage management to work alongside HR to deliver processes and practices which embed the required standards of excellence from induction through to appraisal.
- Ensure that management are fully accountable for their staff and ensure that they adhere fully to an agreed code of behavioural and attitudinal conduct.
The Staff events were designed to:
- Define what Patient Experience Excellence is, and to link this to the ongoing success of the Trust.
- Embed Croydon Health Service NHS Trust’s ‘Here for You’ promises.
- Allow staff to reflect upon their current practice and develop a better understanding of how their behaviours and attitude impacts upon patients and colleagues.
- Impart the skills and confidence required to address and challenge unacceptable standards of behaviour positively and proactively.
- Develop interpersonal communication skills required for positive and effective patient, staff and visitor interactions.
Pillar to Post
Dr Kate Grainger
The resultant programme, spanning a 12 month delivery period consisted of over 50 live facilitated events, each involving a team of actors performing bespoke scenarios created to highlight typical challenging behaviours and attitudes within recognisable work-based situations which the delegates can immediately connect with.
Upon the conclusion of the live programme of events, the project generated a significant quantity of evaluation data and feedback from over 2,200 participants.
Sally Quinn, currently Acting Director of HR & OD at Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
“One of the most inspirational courses I have attended at this hospital. Really well presented, easy to follow and understand. Was not looking forward to this afternoon at all and just thought of it as a tick box! How wrong was I! Thank you.”
“Brilliant and refreshing! I loved the acting and interactive approach. Really made me think and reflect. I will really take it forward.”
“Stimulating and thought provoking; reinforces the importance to change the culture, of which the individual is part. Excellent, thoroughly enjoyable and beneficial to the Trust and its drive forwards.”